My Inspirations For My Film Opening (aka my favorite rom coms of all time)

My theme for my film opening is to involve aspects of a romantic comedy and blend in other themes from different rom-com movies. The following 5 stills and clips are some aspects of a romantic comedy that I would like to implement. 


 1: He's Just Not That Into You
Ever since I first saw this movie I fell in love with it. It's quirky, funny, and follows multiple women through their stories, which ends up clashing in the end. My absolute favorite part of this movie is the introduction. It talks about the unsaid truth that all young girls have thought, which is that if boys are mean to you then they like you. The whole point of the movie was to negate this theory and it does end up slightly working. I would love to attempt to try different clips of scenes all talking about the same topic like we see here. It will be challenging but I feel as though it could make my film opening interesting and funny.
 

   
2: The Proposal
This movie has everything you could ever need from a movie. That includes amazing stars, funny dialogue, and an epic romantic storyline that you can't help but love. Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock were perfectly cast for their roles as well as Betty White. Their story turns from a boss (Bullock) having to fake an engagement to her secretary (Reynolds) in order to obtain a visa to stay in New York. Eventually they fall in love as it happens in basically every rom com but the journey throughout the film is so entising. There aren't any scenes that come to mind that I would like to implement in my opening but when I think of the staple rom coms I think of this movie!


3: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Now this movie is just... wow. In this film we see the two main characters and love interests, Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, make two bets on opposing views. McConaughey says that if he can make any girl of his coworkers choice to fall in love with him then he will take the lead in a major campaign for his company. Hudson's character is a a writer for a romance column who aspires to write actual substance instead of the mushy stuff. Her editor says that if she can write a story titled "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and pull it off then she can write what she wants. In the end in true rom com style they break up but get back together in a dramatic scene on the bridge. From this film I would love to take away something for my plot rather then the film style. I would love to do the opposing views from a male and female perspective. The dynamic of it in this movie fit so well and was pretty funny because the audience could see what the characters couldn't, which was that the other party was intentionally doing anything they could to win their bet. This still is incredibly funny to me as well as important to the plot because we see Hudson going overboard trying to seem like she is the worst possible girl ever while McConaughey is doing everything in his power to soothe her and make her fall in love with him. This is such a great movie and I would love nothing more but to include some aspects in my opening. 

4: 27 Dresses
My first thought when I see this movie is the quote "Always the bridesmaid, never the bride" which is exactly what this movie is about. It starts when Katherine Heigl's character Jane meets her future love interest in a cab, who is also a writer for a wedding magazine under a false name. She leaves her planner and he finds out about her. Jane is in love with her boss and the movie continues down this path for a little. Long story short Jane's sister falls in love with Jane's boss also and they get engaged. Her sister asks Jane to be the wedding planner and she says yes even though she has feelings for her boss. The writer is supposed to be writing an article about the wedding but instead "pretends" to be interested in Jane when he finds out she has been a bridesmaid at 27 different weddings. He writes a story about her but he learns that she is more than just a bridesmaid and that he actually likes her. He tries to get his boss to not run the story but he does it anyway. Jane gets angry at that and stays angry when it comes closer to her sister's wedding time and she ends up ruining the entire thing. Of course in the end we can assume that she realizes she is truly in love with the writer and confesses her feelings for him during one of his jobs. A fun and heartfelt twist is that at Jane's wedding to the writer every bride she was a bridesmaid for is her bridesmaid in the bridesmaids dresses from their won wedding. It is just a cute little linking moment.This movie is another one of my favorites because it takes a turn on the basic wedding planner and gives her a funny new "profession". We always knew that they were going to fall in love but watching them go from strangers to friends to enemies to lovers is just a great experience. I can't really think of anything I want to implement in my opening because they are not very similar but I wanted to highlight this movie because it is one of the best!!



Honorable Mentions: 
  • Dirty Dancing
  • My Best Friend's Wedding
  • She's The Man
  • Clueless
  • Legally Blonde
  • 10 Things I Hate About You
  • Just Go With It

The theme I sense through all of my examples was that they were from the early 2000s. These romantic comedies are just so more appealing to me in every aspect, from the lack of technology to the story line. In today's era we would never get classics like these. Many of them are very similar but that is what a rom com is. You know the basis of what is going to happen but each movie has their own twist and turns. In the end these movies have shaped me into the person I am and taught me that true love is everywhere. It is in everyone, no matter the shape or size, and you will find it most definitely when you are not looking. If I could portray even a fraction of what these movies mean to me into my film opening then I will be very happy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SCRIPT WRITING PROCESS!